The Humanities Department is responsible for delivering History, Religious Education and Geography. They aim to provide exciting and challenging lessons which are accessible to all pupils regardless of ability, in a learning environment that is educational yet stimulating. The department benefits from a number of specialist rooms situated together in subjects. There is a Geography block comprising of 4 large well equipped rooms. RE and History also benefit from specialist rooms.
Key Stage 3
All pupils are taught History, Geography and RE in mixed ability form groups. The department gives pupils the basic grounding needed to help them have a general understanding of our world, its people and its history.
Key Stage 4
The majority of pupils choose to study one Humanities subject from Geography, RE and History which is then studied for three periods per week. Some pupils also have an opportunity to study RE as a short course which is worth half a GCSE. Both Geography and History involve pupils completing coursework which is worth 25% of the final examination mark. The remaining 75% is two written papers.